Imposing and monumental, the building occupies no less than 750 square metres and retains its original fortress-like features including the stone block scarp wall base and the lack of protrusions in the wall surface up to a height of 7 metres. The shape of the building fits the slope of the terrain, with the north-west structured over four levels, and the south-east over the three.
The north-western facade is defined by square cantonal blocks of stone, and a semicircular rampart. On the ground floor there are three doorways and at a higher level there are several openings regularly arranged on a plastered facade. The semicircular northern rampart, with a stone base, is sloped up to the perimeter of the second-floor balcony, while the fourth floor shows a series of panels and pilasters. The north-eastern side has an exposed surface below, while the upper floors are plastered. The south-east has a polygonal surface and irregular openings.
Currently the building is accessed through multiple doorways, but the only original one must have been that formed by the so-called Porta della Terra which faces north.
On the arch there is the quartered Trasmondi stone emblem and it opened onto a narrow courtyard at the bottom of which was the door itself, with heavy wooden doors and sturdy latches.
Large steps lead to the different floors of the building. The upper ones had many rooms including the noble reception room, reserved for ceremonies and lavish galas. The lower floors housed storage rooms, cellars, armories and watchtowers. The stables and coach-houses were however located in other buildings nearby.
Historical NotesThe building, located in the centre of the village and incorrectly called "Trasmondi" from the name of the last feudal lords who lived there, was probably built in 1438, when the Counts of Loritello, also known as the D'Aquino family, became the feudal owners of Introdacqua, Scanno, Opi and Pescasseroli. Among the many events relating to its history, of note is that in the 15th century the Sulmonese humanist scholar Giovanni Quatrario sought shelter here.
During the struggle between the Aragonesi and the Durazzo, he was persecuted for political reasons by the faction who were against Queen Giovanna of Aragon. Then in 1855, the writer and patriot Panfilo Serafini, who was wanted by the Bourbon gendarmerie, was a guest in the palazzo. After the abolition of feudalism, in 1837 the Trasmondi family sold the property to three different families who all made significant changes to the property. These included the elevation of the bastion which stood near the north wall, the transformation of the windows into balconies and the opening-up of the oculi.
Currently the top floor of the building houses the museum dedicated to the poet-emigrant Pascal D'Angelo (Introdacqua, 1894 - New York, 1932), who was much appreciated overseas.