Address: Via Crispi, Introdacqua

Description

The gate located to the north in the current Via Crispi has always been considered the more interesting of the two. It has a rectangular shape with a central passage. On the front of the outside is a semi-circular arch, with masonry, exposed concrete, and mortar of an uneven texture.  The door jambs and lunette are made of regular, slightly protruding, stone blocks. In the passage there is a vaulted ceiling with segmental arches and stone hinges which would have housed the wooden frames that closed the door. Inside, the lower level contains a skylight and two simply framed side doors.  There is also a rectangular skylight outside of the passage and a painting of the Virgin with angel heads at her feet within a rectangular wooden support.
The horizontal crowning with simple tiles rests directly on the masonry.
Above the entrance arch, in the middle of the wall, is the stone coat of arms of the Trasmondi family - the owners of the adjacent building.  It is a carved shield with curls and pendants.  An animal sticks out below the crown and the carved background is divided into four parts.  Also on the door are two inscriptions carved onto the stone blocks of the keystone.   The left is barely legible however the right-hand one shows the date 1539, probably referring to the restructuring work of the older medieval structure.

Historical Notes

Placed at the entrance to the old medieval town, the so-called "Doors of the earth" open respectively to the north and to the south of the town. Both were originally equipped with rotating harpoons on stone rings and were part of the walls. Unfortunately we do not know the exact date of their construction. The northern access, which is up against the left-hand side of the Palazzo Trasmodi, and which bears the family’s coat of arms, is characterised by a round arch. The diametrically opposite door however has a pointed arch.