Address: Torre di Introdacqua

Hours: Open on request, contact the Municipality


It is a rare and excellent example of a medieval walled tower. The tallest building in the village, it stands at about 740m on the slopes of Mount Plaia.   At one point it was considered strategic for the control of the territory: the imposing square building was used as a lookout in defense of the village below. 
It was strengthened by an imposing hexagonal perimeter wall - perhaps added later - located a short distance away, which greater exposed the enemy to blows by the defense. The entrance was protected, not only by a drawbridge, also by a robust iron gate as is shown by the remains of the chamber which housed the mechanism and by the grooves. Both were closed in times of danger, thus ensuring a high degree of protection. Only after the introduction of firearms were two canon slits opened up in the wall.

Historical Notes

Despite not knowing exactly when and by whom the walled tower (also known as the Castle of Introdacqua) was built, it is believed that it was built in the 12th century. In all probability it was the Norman noble Simone Di Sangro who built it for strategic purposes when, in 1173, he extended his dominion over the land and installed his vassal Rainaldo of Aniba here. The building does not really have the appearance or the typical function of medieval castles which was as the residence of the feudal lords and the shelter, if necessary, of the inhabitants of the village. It was however a fortification where the fighters, in case of danger, could retreat. The location and structure of the fort caused Lenoncourt, the viceroy of Charles VIII, to give up his occupation of the land in 1495 and to regroup in L'Aquila, which was at that time in support of the king of France. Later, the building passed from the Di Sangro family to a succession of other owners, right up to the Trasmondi family, which ended when the feudal system was abolished in 1806. The property then became state owned and was finally acquired at auction by the Susi family.